Thursday 27th November 2014 (6:30-8:30pm): Speaker Phil Jaworek from the East Midlands Stargazers talking about Vintage refracting telescopes.
- What is a Vintage Refractor
- Brief history of the achromatic refractor – including description of Chromatic Aberration and focal length and their relationship in refractor design
- Brief description of the Apochromatic Refractor
- Advantages and disadvantages of the achromat
- Achromats old and new – a few examples of famous (and not so famous) makes from the past 100 years including some of my own examples.
- Accessories – eyepieces etc to match the vintage scope
- What place does the achromat have in modern amateur astronomy – modern classic style achromats
- What to look for in a vintage/classic scope
- Where to buy and what to pay
- Where to get info plus some interesting reading
Refreshments will be available from 6:15pm. All welcome, under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult. Free for members, non members are welcome for a suggested donation of £2 towards refreshments etc.
After the talk there will be opportunity for some observing if clear, if not there will be another shorter talk by Mr Perkins on topical subject matter.